Dental Nurse Apprentice
- Company: Strickland Gate Dental Practice T/A Strictly Denta
- Location: Penrith
- Vacancy Ref: 00000133
- Weekly wage: £360.00
- Hours per week: 40
- Sector: Dental
This vacancy is for an Apprentice Dental Nurse based in Penrith, Cumbria.
The successful applicant will have the opportunity to undertake valuable work experience whilst gaining on the job qualifications.
Role Responsibilities: greeting, receiving patients and attending to their needs. Be aware at all times of the whole person coming to you for care and try to enhance their well being. Make each visit as comfortable as possible, whilst maintaining patient confidentiality at all times.
Surgery based tasks
- Act on instruction from the Dentist with regard to the treatment of patients and ensure relevant details regarding the patient are reported to the dentist.
- Assisting the Dental Surgeon during operative procedures;
At the chair side and
Preparing materials for use in surgery.
- Prepare dental materials, instruments and equipment for each patient.
- Ensuring cross infection control principals are followed in dealing with;
Instruments, Materials and Clinical Waste.
- Record patients? details and treatments using IT within the surgery and the practice.
- Be able to deal with special problems presented in the care of children, elderly, people with disabilities, compromised or anxious patients.
- Maintain the correct uniform, professional manner and appearance at all times. Ensure patients? confidentiality is strictly maintained at all times. Do not disclose information obtained in confidence except to authorised persons and organisations as instructed.
- Ensuring a tidy working environment.
- Ensuring laboratory work is recorded and dispatched / recorded and received.
- Maintaining adequate stock levels within the surgery.
Non surgery based tasks
- Processing of radiographs
- Ensuring cross infection control principals are followed when;
Cleaning and preparing instruments,
Disposing of clinical waste,
Dealing with laboratory work.
- Liaising with reception staff
- Flexibility to work at additional times with the team, as work load dictates.
Reception based tasks ? as required
- Meeting and greeting patients, answering incoming telephone calls from patients, health services, suppliers and general enquiries.
- Arranging appointments and managing the diary on a daily basis.
- Settling accounts and handling cash and cheques.
- Word processing of accounts, referral letters and general typing.
- Collating patient records and preparing day lists.
- Preparation of laboratory materials, both into and from the surgery.
- Preparing mail.
Health and safety
You are required to acquaint yourself with Health, Safety and Fire regulations and the accident notification systems. Take all possible steps to safeguard the health and welfare of yourself, patients, visitors and colleagues during working hours.
Skills to develop
- Exhibit planned continuing personal development on and individual and team basis.
- Examine cross infection control improvement
- Maintenance of equipment. Managing this, protocols & recording of details.
- Registration with the General Dental Council as a Dental Nurse.
- OHE/Smoking Cessation. Delivery within practice.
Dental Nurses may take on additional responsibilities within the practice following discussion and agreement with the Principal Dentist or the Practice Manager.
Training to be provided
- Level 3 Diploma in Dental Nursing
- Functional Skills Level 2 in Maths and English
- First Aid
- Preparation for the end point assessment